- How to fix ‘system thread exception not handled’ error in windows 10 - December 19, 2020
- How to think like an engineer – On a daily basis - December 17, 2020
- The frightened engineer – Side quest – The Outer Worlds - December 16, 2020
The answer to the question that What is by far the most popular dns server software available? is BIND. Bind is the most popular dns server software in current time.
In this post, we gonna talk about the What is by far the most popular dns server software available?. For those who just want the one-word answer, we clear those people on the very first line of the article.
And the rest of us who wants to learn more about the most popular dns server software, read the whole article.
What is by far the most popular dns server software available?
The answer is BIND. It is the most popular dns server software. So, let’s take a look at what actually BIND is
What is BIND
BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) is free to download and use open-source system. At the University of Berkley in 1980s, it was developed. BIND currently is running on its 9th version. It is offered to the public under the Mozilla Public License.
BIND can offer various features to its a user like split the Dns, Dynamic update, IPV6, load balancing, notify and many more.
Origin of BIND
Douglas Terry, Mark Painter, David Riggle and Songnian Zhou are the four founder of the BIND dns. They all are the students of the University of Berkley. They all written BIND as the part of DRPA project (It is the predecessor of today’s Internet). Later the development is taken over by Paul Vixie of Digital Equipment Corporation.
And the latest version of BIND (version 9) is intitially proposed at 2000 offered the support for remote name domain control, TSIG and DNSSEC with encryption via shared secret.
A newer veersion of BIND (version 10) developed in 2014 but dew to ISC work they renamed it to bundy
Main features of BIND
There are majorly three main features of BIND
BIND provides various tools that will help you to manage DNS server properly included
- RNDC – Remote Name Daemon Control – allows the user to control all the operations of the name server through encrypted channel.
- nslookup – handle dns server related to hosting and domain
- dig – user can view and server output
- host – convert hostname to IP address
It maintain the dns zone by acting as caching (name server ue for client integral to organisation) or Authoritative (name server use by external clients)
Lightweight resolver run on dns clients such as hosting operating system or routers.
Advantages of BIND
Because of these advantages that made BIND (What is by far the most popular dns server software available?) so popular.
- Versatile – BIND supports almost all the platforms available like – Linux, macOS, Windows, Free BDS, Net BDS, Open BDS.
- Stability – Popular for it’s a stable and predictable response.
- Wide usage and strong community – It is highly active and supported by a large community.